Wednesday, February 14, 2007

MARKER BANDOLIERS & BANANA APARTMENTS

I am having a very "man above time" moment these days. I was worried that i had deleted the following image... but i found it! Here is one of the places i'd like to live, rendered in the 8 BIT stylings. I am having a discussion with Dennis Dread about art & he mentioned the amount of work it takes to convince people that his bic pen drawings are art! The art world is a load of bollocks! It has nothing to do with the actual true energies & people that create good work. But that's fine with me, why would i want a bunch of rich assholes to invest in my work after i'm dead anyhow? Here's a better idea, invest in me now & i'll make this stuff into real life & your kids & grandkids will get to live in it. There's a real investment.

This also got me thinking about being told to not use markers for my work & how "real mediums" were better. Once again, this is trying to make me follow rules for the game that i'm not playing. For me, art is exploration. If i become stagnant & regimented, it means i've stopped doing what i love to do. Rules are for the uninspired & lazy.

7 comments:

Aeron said...

I really like this 8 bit art, always wanted to try it myself. To get noticed by the art world you have to do conceptual stuff, that is things that can only be afforded by the rich, the Cremaster Cycle, or funded by the rich, airplane propellor paintings. The artists that are well known and have a high level of skill and talent are few and far between. And I have to say how amazed I am that Neckface is as popular as he is. I'm a great fan of his art, but I don't think it warrants the attention that it gets. A good example I think that hype has more to do with your popularity as an artist then your art.

seantiger said...

what you said Gob, right on!

The Art is nice, reminds me a bit of eboy

Noah Berlatsky said...

I like the illustration. I'm kind of ignorant about this stuff; is it done on a computer? How exactly?

I'm always a little surprised when I hear people complain about the art world, which actually seems a lot more open to innovation and experimentation than many other mediums. I mean, I'm sure some segments of the art world wouldn't be interested, but, on the other hand, I can easily see this illustration being shown in a gallery.

It's probably just a matter of perspective, I guess. Compared to an ideal, I'm sure the art world sucks. But compared to poetry and/or comics, the two other mediums I've tried to work in? It's no contest; the art world is a lot more open, and produces much better work overall.

SEAN said...

Noah, the art world is totally open. But it is open in niches & the general populace doesn't know shit about any of it. That's the problem for me. To me, art must develop with the public. At this point, art has moved at a speed that is ridiculous, but it is largely irrellevent because there is no public understanding. That's a problem if you ask me. There must be a consensus between the public & the art world & there is none.

Human Mollusk said...

Noah, the art is definitely done on a computer, and I don't believe there's any special process involved. I think it's simply painted pixe by pixel.

Check out this animated tribute to games like "double dragon" by pixel artist Paul Robertson:
http://probertson.livejournal.com/18096.html

Noah Berlatsky said...

Sean, that criticism of the art world totally makes sense to me. Fufu, thanks for the link!

Jon Chandler said...

I do love this 8-bit art too, good work. In the future we will have watermelon carrying robots. I can't wait. By the way, I went to an arcade game exhibition today and got to play the 8-bit oldies and check out the cool artwork on the sides of the display cases. I was in heaven. Does anyone know of any artbooks featuring ZX Spectrum era artwork??