Thursday, March 22, 2007

This cannon runs on black magic


Here's a full view of the work in progress and a detail view of the cannon monster I mentioned earlier. The cannon nose is untouched, still tinkering the layers for that part.

This image is meant to be shown as some kind of glorified historical document of a famous battle from this fantasy world. And I'm always obsessed with the small details in things so a bit of back story to this image. The spider like cannon creature in the bottom left, look at the detail version and you'll see a dark sort of kinetic energy oozing out of it. If animated it would appear almost electric, jittering around the surface of the cannon creature like living liquid. That is the black magic of the Magicians. They're a cult of sorcerers who have a large role in this fantasy world. In the Land of the Moth this black liquid is sold as an illegal substance that when splashed on something, brings it to derranged life.

Some of the imagery used in the legs of the cannon creature were fragments of animal skulls and the walls of caves.

3 comments:

Noah Berlatsky said...

I bet Bosch would have done something like this if he'd had photoshop....

SEAN said...

Yeah, gotta agree with Noah on that. I'd love to see the final printed out onto canvas & then painted.

Aeron said...

That's the goal, I'm probably going to just project the image digitally onto canvas. I've got a friend with a digital projector, I just need to get a canvas stretched large enough for what I want, which is fucking huge.